About Ira Chaleff
Ira Chaleff is an author, speaker, workshop presenter and innovative thinker on the beneficial use of power between those who are leading and those who are following in any given situation.
His groundbreaking book, The Courageous Follower: Standing Up To and For Our Leaders, is in its third edition, has been published in multiple languages and is in use in institutions around the globe including educational, corporate, government and military organizations. He is coeditor of The Art of Followership: How Great Followers Make Great Leaders and Organizations, part of the highly regarded Warren Bennis Leadership Series. He has written on the appropriate use of power in non-traditional settings in his creative non-fiction work, The Limits of Violence: Lessons of a Revolutionary Life.
Ira’s latest book, Intelligent Disobedience: Doing Right When What You’re Told To Do Is Wrong, is once again breaking new ground by exploring the deep cultural roots of obedience and how to equip individuals of all ages to resist inappropriate orders and find better ways and ethical means of achieving legitimate goals.
He has recently completed two terms of service as member of the Board of Directos of the International Leadership Association (ILA) and is founder of its Followership Member Community. He is currently mentoring a community of academics and professionals in the field of courageous followers gathered around the Teaching Followers Courage project. Ira is also the founder and president of Executive Coaching & Consulting Associates, which provides coaching, consulting and facilitation to companies, associations and agencies throughout the Washington, DC, area. He is chairman emeritus of the nonpartisan Congressional Management Foundation and has provided facilitation to nearly one hundred congressional offices to improve their service to constituents. Ira is Adjunct Faculty at the Federal Executive Institute where he teaches a week long elective workshop on Courageous Followers, Courageous Leaders, in the Leadership in a Democratic Society program and is a Visiting Leadership Scholar at the University of Cambridge, England.
He holds a degree in Applied Behavioral Science and is a Board Certified Coach from the Center for Credentialing and Education.
Ira has been named one of the “100 best minds on leadership” by Leadership Excellence magazine. He was cited in the Harvard Business Review as one of the three pioneers in the growing field of followership studies. Ira has watched with pride as the concept of followership has moved from one of obscurity into a topic of study in major universities, conferences and leadership development programs.
Author Ira Chaleff lives in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains outside of Washington, DC, where bears frequently disobey the No Trespassing signs on the road and help keep his connection strong with the wonders of nature.
- Intelligent Disobedience for Children: A Handbook for Parents and Other Caregivers
Ira Chaleff Publications, 2018
- Intelligent Disobedience: Doing Right When What You’re Told to Do Is Wrong
Ira Chaleff, with Foreword by Dr. Philip Zimbardo
Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2015
- The Limits of Violence: Lessons of a Revolutionary Life
Ira Chaleff. as told by Elan LeVieux
Ira Chaleff Publications, 2014
- The Art of Followership: How Great Followers Make Great Leaders and Organizations
Editors: Ira Chaleff, Jean Lipman-Blumen and Ron Riggio
Jossey Bass, Warren Bennis Leadership Series, 2008
- The Courageous Follower: Standing Up To and For Our Leaders
Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 1995/2003/2009
- حدود العنف : دروس من حياة ثائر (The Limits of Violence – Arabic Edition)
ISBN: 9781785820380, SKU 4403436
Jamalon Limited, 2019
- 可怕的盲从 : 习惯如何左右我们的工作和生活
KEPA DE MANGCONG ：XIGUAN RUHE ZUOYOU WOMENDE GONGZUO HE SHENGHUO
Anti Obedience: How habits are about our work and life (Intelligent Disobedience – Chinese Edition)
ISBN: 9787201121321, ASIN: B071Z7DSQM
Tianjin People’s Publishing House, 2017
- El Colaborador Valiente: Poniéndonos de pie para apoyar o enfrentar a nuestros líderes (Spanish)
ISBN: 978-1503229198, ASIN: B00T6BDFAQ
Ira Chaleff Publications, 2014
- CAN ĐẢM CÃI SẾP (The Courageous Follower – Vietnamese Edition)
Thái Hà (Thaihabooks), 2014
- The Courageous Follower: Standing Up To and For Our Leaders (Japanese)
Diamond Press, 2009
- Il Follower Coraggioso: il collaboratore che sa dire di no al leader (Italian)
L’Airone Editrice Rome, Italy 2008
- The Courageous Follower: Standing Up To and For Our Leaders (Korean)
Sigma Press, 2007
- Los Límites de la Violencia: Lecciones de una vida revolucionaria (Spanish)
Ira Chaleff según relato de Elan Le Vieux (ISBN: 9781456365417)
Ira Chaleff Publications, 2006
- The Courageous Follower (Indian Edition – English)
Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Ltd, Noida, UP, India, 2005
- Dancing With The Boss: How To Be a Courageous Follower (Chinese)
Haitian Press, Shenzhen, China, 1999