Ira Chaleff is an author, speaker, workshop presenter and innovative thinker on the beneficial use of power between those who are leading and those who are following in any given situation.
His groundbreaking book, The Courageous Follower: Standing Up To and For Our Leaders, is in its third edition, has been published in multiple languages and is in use in institutions around the globe including educational, corporate, government and military organizations. He is coeditor of The Art of Followership: How Great Followers Make Great Leaders and Organizations, part of the highly regarded Warren Bennis Leadership Series. He has written on the appropriate use of power in non-traditional settings in his creative non-fiction work, The Limits of Violence: Lessons of a Revolutionary Life.
Ira’s latest book, Intelligent Disobedience: Doing Right When What You’re Told To Do Is Wrong, is once again breaking new ground by exploring the deep cultural roots of obedience and how to equip individuals of all ages to resist inappropriate orders and find better ways and ethical means of achieving legitimate goals.
Ira is the founder of the International Leadership Association’s Followership Learning Community and a member of the ILA board of directors. He is also the founder and president of Executive Coaching & Consulting Associates, which provides coaching, consulting and facilitation to companies, associations and agencies throughout the Washington, DC, area. He is chairman emeritus of the nonpartisan Congressional Management Foundation and has provided facilitation to nearly one hundred congressional offices to improve their service to constituents. He is adjunct faculty at Georgetown University, where Courageous Followership is part of the core curriculum in its professional management training for staff.
Ira has been named one of the “100 best minds on leadership” by Leadership Excellence magazine. He was cited in the Harvard Business Review as one of the three pioneers in the growing field of followership studies. Ira has watched with pride as the concept of followership has moved from one of obscurity into a topic of study in major universities, conferences and leadership development programs.
Ira lives in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains outside of Washington, DC, where bears frequently disobey the No Trespassing signs on the road and help keep his connection strong with the wonders of nature.
- Intelligent Disobedience: Doing Right When What You’re Told to Do Is Wrong
Ira Chaleff, with Foreword by Dr. Philip Zimbardo
Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2015
- The Limits of Violence: Lessons of a Revolutionary Life
Ira Chaleff. as told by Elan LeVieux
Ira Chaleff Publications, 2014
- The Art of Followership: How Great Followers Make Great Leaders and Organizations
Editors: Ira Chaleff, Jean Lipman-Blumen and Ron Riggio
Jossey Bass, Warren Bennis Leadership Series, 2008
- The Courageous Follower: Standing Up To and For Our Leaders
Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 1995/2003/2009
- El Colaborador Valiente: Poniéndonos de pie para apoyar o enfrentar a nuestros líderes (Spanish)
Ira Chaleff (ISBN: 978-1503229198, ASIN: B00T6BDFAQ)
Ira Chaleff Publications, 2014
- CAN ĐẢM CÃI SẾP (The Courageous Follower – Vietnamese Edition)
Ira Chaleff, (ISBN: 8936037795546)
Thái Hà (Thaihabooks), 2014
- The Courageous Follower: Standing Up To and For Our Leaders (Japanese)
Diamond Press, 2009
- Il Follower Coraggioso: il collaboratore che sa dire di no al leader (Italian)
Ira Chaleff (ISBN: 9788879448956)
L’Airone Editrice Rome, Italy 2008
- The Courageous Follower: Standing Up To and For Our Leaders (Korean)
Sigma Press, 2007
- Los Límites de la Violencia: Lecciones de una vida revolucionaria (Spanish)
Ira Chaleff según relato de Elan Le Vieux (ISBN: 9781456365417)
Ira Chaleff Publications, 2006
- The Courageous Follower (Indian Edition – English)
Ira Chaleff (ISBN: 9780070606340)
Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Company Ltd, Noida, UP, India, 2005
- Dancing With The Boss: How To Be a Courageous Follower (Chinese)
Ira Chaleff (ISBN: 9787806540077)
Haitian Press, Shenzhen, China, 1999